Sunday, August 29, 2010

Review: The Other Guys


My thoughts after the jump....


So after the little bit of delay on my part, I finally got around to seeing The Other Guys. Overall, I enjoyed the film but I was no where near the point of holding my stomach do to the pains of laughing consistently.

Here is the official synopsis:

New York City Police Detectives Christopher Danson (Dwayne Johnson) and P. K. Highsmith (Samuel L. Jackson) are the toughest and most famous cops in the city with the best capture rate no matter what it takes to get their man, even if the city must pay $12 million in property damages to capture a small crook. However, in their ranks, there are two other detectives that are want-to-be heroes sitting in the wings. Detective Allen Gamble (Will Ferrell) and Terry Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg) just want their chance in the sun to make a big collar and get a medal too. They get their chance when a small case falls into their lap which ends up being a very big high-profile case instead. It's the opportunity they have been waiting for, but do they have what it takes to be the next police heroes?

What really drew me to the film was that Mark Whalberg would be one of the leads. While I'm a big fan of what Mark Whalberg does as an action star, he plays comedy perfectly (in my own personal opinion). For me, he didn't disappoint this time. Whalberg and Ferrel have great chemistry in the movie and I feel that the scenes where they are rumored to be improv are much funnier than the scripted scenes. Adam Mckay (writer and director) may have tried too hard in a few scenes with dialogue. They were over flowing with content and made you forget that you were watching a comedy film.

In the first 15 minutes of the movie you see a lot of Samuel Jackson and Dwayne Johnson (The Rock). While to set up the plot and storyline of the film, we don't see them after, I wish they could have tried a little harder to see Jackon a little later in the movie. In his own right, Jackson can play a mean character with a gun (Pulp Fiction). It just would have been nice to see him ask someone for their Hawaiian Burger.

Will Ferrel is best served with subtlety. All of the scenes of Allen Gamble (Will Ferrel) with Dr. Sheila Gamble (Eva Mendez) are golden. Not to mention the comedy added from Mark Whalberg. Those scenes by far were genius. It also gives jokes throughout the rest of the film which enriches most dry scenes near the resolution of the film.

Great Casting. Great Improv. I give The Other Guys a 7/10. Congrats.

No comments:

Post a Comment